Friday, March 16, 2012

Sidelined and not happy about it.

Well, I've had to bow out on two hikes now as a result of a shin splint. Two weeks ago after the hike with all those water crossings, I felt the best I've ever felt after a hike! And that was no EASY hike! So the next day in an honest effort to lose the extra weight that is so obvious in these hiking pictures, I went to the gym, hopped on the arc trainer, opened my iPad to my new book, AWOL on the Appalachian Trail, and did 30 minutes of strength training. That 30 minutes went by so fast I was amazed and actually thought "it's gonna be easy to get in shape like this!".

Well, so much for that theory! The next morning I woke to severe pain and restricted movement in my left leg that I was totally not expecting. It was all I could do to move around that huge school building I work in. For the last week and a half I've babied my leg, put on heat or ice depending on what I felt I needed, and hoped to be able to hike during Spring Break. I've cancelled two hikes now: one last weekend and one tomorrow. I finally went to the doctor today just to be sure there wasn't something bad wrong.

So the diagnosis is what I expected and the knot on the back of that leg is apparently just fatty tissue. I am cleared to ride the Virginia Creeper Trail on Tuesday, but Doc told me to go easier on the hiking. Guess I need to hike with my hubby who doesn't think hiking is a race! I love my Bucket Brigade hiking buddies and I will hike with them, but I hope they will allow me to ease back into our routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment