Saturday, May 5, 2012

Supermoon and a Moonbow to boot!



I didnt even know it was possible, but tonight while looking at the Supermoon, I saw what looked like a rainbow, but it was nighttime! The moon was full and bright, the clouds had parted just in time for moonrise only in that part of the sky. As we were admiring how beautiful the moon was, it began to mist rain. When we turned to look to see where the rain was coming from, we saw it! It was a Moonbow! A Lunar Rainbow! I wasn't even sure it could happen, so what did I do? I pulled out my trusty iPhone and pulled up Google. Sure enough, I'm not crazy. It IS possible if conditions are just right, with a full moon and rain. The rain kept us from seeing the meteor showers that I was hoping to see tonight, but the showers of the liquid kind allowed us to see what may very well be a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence.

My camera phone would not capture the moonbow, so I picked this picture from the following source:
http://kilohoku.deviantart.com/art/Mauna-Kea-Moonbow-18150575

No comments:

Post a Comment